- THE HUNGRY OVEN FOOD & WINE EVENT Our final food sampling & wine tasting night is scheduled for tomorrow Fri, April 13th. This is our Grand Finale – we have a great turnout and we’re going to be celebrating Canada! It’s been a really fun way to help support the U.N. trip and the Year 6 and 7’s would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that participated. Have fun!
- UNDER THE SEA AQUARIUM DRAW Beginning Mon, April 16th tickets will be available to purchase for a chance to win a day with Tiffany at the Vancouver Aquarium for your North Star child and one of their North Star friends. Check your pockets for further information.
- GUEST SPEAKER Jesse Miller from Mediated Reality will be speaking to North Star parents the evening of Tues, April 17th from 6:30 to 8:30pm. Mark your calendars! Details to follow.
- EARTH WEEK Next week is Earth Week! Beginning next week, various “Green Activities” will be taking place in the school. On Tuesday and Wednesday look for the runner recycling box where you can drop off clean, used runners to be recycled into court and playground material. On Friday bring in a miscellaneous item from home (perhaps something you are not sure can be recycled) and bring it to the “recycling angel” at the fair to find out whether it can be recycled or reused. See you at the Swap next week!
- EARTH DAY SWAP The North Star Earth Day Swap & Fair is just over a week away – Fri, April 20th from 11:20am to 12:45pm. Students may wear blue or green clothing in support of Earth Day. Informative displays, an item swap and interactive activities will be available so come out and celebrate Earth Day at North Star. A few volunteers are needed for set up and clean up so please sign up on the bulletin board if you can help out. We will begin collecting gently used CHILDREN’S items such as books, dvds & cds and puzzles & games on Friday of this week. Look for the collection box in the reception area. A minimum donation of 2 items is required for the swap to work and for the students to be given some variety. The swap works this way: your child brings in a book and a dvd he/she no longer wants and leaves it in the collection box. On Fri, April 20th your child can pick ONE item from the donated items to take home. If your child donates 3 or more items to the swap (up to a maximum of 10), he or she can then take home TWO items. All items remaining at the end of the swap will be donated to various charities supporting local children. The focus here is on reducing, reusing and recycling these items for other children to enjoy. Please ensure all materials donated are age-appropriate for our students.
- LATE POLICY Just a quick reminder of the importance of children arriving on time each morning. When children are late it not only disrupts the class, but can also cause anxiety for the child who is late. Repeated tardiness sends the message that it is not important to be on time. The school door will be open at 8:00 am. Children and parents can enter the school at this time and proceed to the coat area where they can change out of their outdoor shoes, into their indoor shoes and use the washroom. Students should arrive early enough that they are ready to begin their work cycle promptly at the beginning of the scheduled session. Please arrive to the classroom door no later than 8:15am (Elementary) or 8:30am (Casa). In the event of an unavoidable delay in the morning, parents should phone the school before 8:00am to advise of the delay. K & Elementary children arriving after class begins will be marked as ‘late’ on the attendance as well as their report card and permanent record.
- SUMMER CAMPS Attached please find the overview and registration form for North Star’s Kindergarten & Elementary Summer Camps. Casa Camp information will be distributed next week.
- YEAR END FAIR & FUNDRAISER Mark your calendars for Sat, June 16th! Open to families and friends of North Star, our FUNdraiser will include a cake walk, games, food and more! We will be contacting volunteers shortly. If you love to bake and wish to contribute a cake to the cake walk, please sign up on the sheet posted on the office bulletin board.
- CHILDRUN Are you ready to run? North Star has been entering a team in the Children’s Hospital ChildRun for several years now, and we’re doing it again this year! It’s a 5 km walk/run on Sunday, June 3rd near Children’s Hospital that is fun, great exercise for people of any age or fitness level, and an opportunity to support a wonderful charity. If you would like to join us this year, early registration deadline is April 15, so follow the instructions below to register. Last year we had a great turnout of over 25 people. Come out and enjoy a great experience with other North Star students, family and friends. Register at: http://bcchf.ca/events/events-calendar/childrun/ Click on Register>select No (unless you were a member last year and know your registration information)>Join an Existing Team>scroll down to North Star Montessori team, and enter your personal information. Further details to come! Please email Brett (Liam and Ryan’s dad) at [email protected] with any questions in the meantime.
- KINDERGARTEN PE The K students will be doing Yoga for PE next week.
- PARENT ED NIGHT Our next Parent Ed Night will be held on Mon, April 23rd. First Year Families – come and use Practical Life and Sensorial Materials! Learn how preparing the environment on these areas supports your child’s independence and brain development. Parents of 4 & 5 Year Olds – what makes learning math in a Montessori School so much fun? Come and learn how children experience the math materials in a Montessori classroom. Sign-up sheets for attendance and childcare will be posted on the office bulletin board next week.
- LOWER ELEMENTARY PE The LE students will be doing Yoga for PE next week.
- UPPER ELEMENTARY PE The UE students will be training for the Track Meet with Anchor Point Montessori which will take place on Thurs, April 19th.